Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rendez-vous at midnight


Guess what, I am still alive! I had a variable time cycling from Barcelona to Alicante where I am surfing a couch right now. One of the highlights definitely was the day before I arrived at Alicante. The spanish bakers didn´t cooperate very much on my yesterday bread schedule and I got that much fed up with them that I contracted the Lidl to supply me with a 1 kg Christmas Stoll. Together with the wind it got me into an astounding human powered world record braking coverance of more than 100 km on 1 day for a person with back problems without hearting his back. In complete dark, around 23:30 I passed the highest point between Denia and Calpe at 200m above sea level on the N322. Then I let myself fall into the depth again to Calpe to look for a place to spend the night. At midnight I noticed another cyclist on the other side of the road and I stopped to say hello. The man turned out to be some Petr from The Chech Republic. Together with a friend he hitchhiked to Italy and France where his friend left him. Then he bought a bike with only 1 gear but no less then 6 bags and made it as far as Calpe. There his legs were starting to hurt him too much and he decided to stay for a couple of days or weeks for a rest. These days he made himself his own campingsite in a little forest between the motorway and the railway with his tent, cooking place, benches, rock-fridge, water and foodstock. He started to make drawings on the beach for 5 euro´s each. Besides he discovered that the supermarkets around didn´t close their garbage containers and he was really swimming in the most luxurous food you can wish yourself as a homeless person. That night we shared our lives, watched the stars, made a fire and drank some tea. The next morning we ate bread with a lot of ham and eggs and enjoyed the sunny weather. Once again, an unforgetable experience...

1 comment:

  1. Die Lidl schept natuurlijk een band tussen het Smaragdplein en Spanje!

    Ik ben mijn couchsurfaccount ook weer aan het oppoetsen. Ben jij wel eens bij die CS-meetings geweest in Utrecht, Geert?

    Weltrusten op je couch.

    ReplyDelete