
Hello my dearest people. A month of streetwisdom has ended. I am now in the good hands of my friend Joris, who is doing the expat-trick here in Grenoble. I expect to be able to get online again some of these days outside of Joris his 9-17 regime, so this might be a good opportunity for some skyping.
Back to business again: I want to tell you something about hospitality which seems a miraculous thing. My last message explained that we were just invited for two nights. Firstly we asked for a dry place to put up the tent, secondly we only asked for water. Both times we had an amazing time with these completely different locals. The two nights after more or less the same thing happened, even when we had a pretty strong intention to camp again after all the indoorwork. This is not a coincidence anymore. Besides having had a wonderful time I also have to conclude that even? in France the countryside is very hospitable within all layers of society. We exchanged the Saone for the Rhone and after some nights in the wild we arrived in Lyon. Here we did a little experiment and tested the city for it's hospitality. Though I am not very shy this is mentally a lot tougher than hitchhiking. After two female students, a more anarchistically looking group of jong men, a gypsie-family, some islamic older people, a kebab restaurant, a mosque and two churches, we still had only our tent to sleep in. I slowly start to believe I underestimated the power of couchsurfing.org. To conclude this theme I was very surprised to be almost kicked out of the house of the parents of Peters friend Marion in Vienne. They seemed very nice normal French people, but they obviously needed there privacy a lot, on the excuse of being very tired after 14 days of holidays, whereas they both were retired...
Enfin, the day before yesterday I left Peter behind, he will return to fetch his girlfriend before emigrating to Austria for a winter. Though we had an amazing time together, the first day I was on my own I had inmediatly (or still?) a warm feeling inside which spoke the words of 100% freedom. This was were I ate my pain rassis with nutella and whatched a jeu de boule game.
The little details: I now know how to catch earthworms in the middle of the night, how many of the French castles are shamelessly abandoned, that it takes you 1 hour to cross 700 meters of Rhone-side jungle, how Herman Hesses Siddartha can inspire a traveling man, and that I have to make up my mind these days how to continue the journey and hide for the winter. A bientot, Geert.
No comments:
Post a Comment